Tuesday, March 11, 2008

life in the Old Pueblo

I have been resisting temptations to link to any articles, so I just thought I would give an update on what has been going on. Although, it is likely more articles will be coming!

At the beginning of my treatment, my Aunt Maryanne had her class make cards for me, which was really nice, and one card stood out among all the others. It was from a girl who had Leukemia and told me she knew what I was going through. Here is a picture of it:

The card has been a great reminder that there are worse things to go through than my type of cancer. Going to treatments, you always see people that remind you that life could be a lot tougher.

I have been fortunate to have an incredible amount of support and that has made all the difference in the world. I have been amazed at how many people visit this blog!

Still, things have not been improving quite as fast as I had hoped, but it is definitely nice not to have to go get radiation every day. You can't complain when you get to sleep in until noon and then read and surf the internet all day! So, this isn't complaining, just telling you what's going on. It is still difficult to talk, so I rarely do it. My throat is really raw, which makes talking difficult, and has kept me from eating. The other problem is that I produce a lot of mucus in my mouth, and there is some blood in the mucus. Once the blood stops showing up in the mucus, I think that will be a good signal for my throat having healed.

From here on out, I meet with the radiation oncologist every week for the next three weeks, will have a CT scan in two weeks, and a PET-scan in about three months. The PET and CT scans are to make sure that we have gotten everything. My ear, nose, and throat doctor/surgeon is a little worried about two nodes on the left side of my neck that still appear enlarged. If they do show up positive, I will have to have another surgery to remove (many of) the lymph nodes on the left side of my neck. (Many of the right ones are already gone.) So, I am starting a routine of meditation and hopefully yoga to try alternative healing. Also, I am starting to put together recipes of healthier cancer fighting meals for when I can eat again. (Note: this does not rule out eating Greek style macaroni and cheese.)

It has been nice to have visitors. I have gotten great visits from Ted, the Dude, Lynn, Maw Maw, and Mary (and my family). I know I have discouraged visiting when I wasn't feeling well, but if people want to now, they are more than welcome. For those of you in Seattle or who want to go to Seattle I hope to go there in about a month. I will give an update on that as plans solidify for those who would want to meet up there.

For my fellow runners, I think we are hoping to set up some sort of reunion/get together. Let me know what you think.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Baby,

Thanks for the update. I am feeling very confident that you are going to be racing under clear skies from now on. Sleep tight tonight, and I'll see you soon. Yipee!!!

Love,
Aunt Lynnie

lauren grant said...

hi steven,

i hope your healing begins to speed up soon! i have been practicing yoga for quite some time now and love it. it has certainly been healing for me, and i hope it proves to be the same for you. while i don't know any yoga studios in tucson, desert song, in phoenix, is wonderful. AND, if you feel well enough to squeeze a yoga session into your seattle trip, yoga life, on queen anne and in green lake is wonderful too!
take care and rest up!
lauren

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

It is great to hear that you are slowly getting better. I can see why the picture from the little girl touched your heart. I pray that all future test come out negative and that you can continue with the positive attitude towards full healing.

Diane said...

Hi Steve,

It is good to hear that you are starting to feel a little better. It is obviously going to take some time. I am praying that all of your tests come back negative for any cancer. As always, you are in my thoughts and in my prayers. I do so want to visit you. Perhaps your maternal aunts can invade your peace and quiet this summer. In the meantime, take care of yourself. Love.

Aunt Diane

.tn. said...

good to hear things are going better! see you in a couple weeks

Kevin Lybarger said...

Your blog has become very popular. Maybe you should sell it to Google or Microsoft. Then you could be like Opera and have your favorite Seattle foods flown in.

I am definitely down for trip to AZ and/or a Seattle reunion. I am sure the XC boyz are as well. I have some travel tentatively scheduled this spring for work, but if we pick out some dates I can be fairly accommodating.

Take care,

Kevin

Kevin