Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Poor Yankees

A Yankees player makes a terribly hard slide into a Devil Rays' shortstop, gets fined and somehow the Yankees are the victims in all this. Look at what Hank Steinbrenner had the gall to say. Note: you may want to throw up if you c0ntinue reading. In fact reading this made me more nauseous than any chemo treatment.

This time, Yankees general partner Hank Steinbrenner took up the charge, reaffirming the front office's support of manager Joe Girardi, backing the players and making a comment that clearly was directed at the small-market Rays.

"I don't want these teams in general to forget who subsidizes a lot of them, and it's the Yankees, the Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets," he said to The New York Post. "I would prefer if teams want to target the Yankees that they at least start giving some of that revenue sharing and luxury tax money back. From an owner's point of view, that's my point."

I guess not wanting to get cleated in the chest counts as going as going after the Yankees.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The Yankees and their fans are what's wrong with America. Them and Oprah. (OK, and Dave Matthews). Great post, Steve

Steve said...

I forgot the best part ... after the take out slide the Yankees came with the defense that that kind of behavior is to be expected because they "take spring training seriously." I am surprised they could say that with a straight face when two days previous, they started 60 year old Billy Crystal.

Unknown said...

Nothing to do but retaliate with a little chin music. There's no crying in baseball!!

draye said...

Too bad our Mariners game on Friday did not include any such controversy. I'd still settle for your good company (and that of the woman next to you keeping the most fastidious score book I've ever seen...I wonder how you score a power slide?). In any case, it was great to see--and occasionally hear--you over the past few days. Keep up the progress!
Dom