Saturday, February 2, 2008

the week from ellensberg (for those not familiar with Washington, not a great place)

warning: sensitive material, don't read if sensitive stomach

I am in a good mood for now, so I am going to strike while the iron's hot and get a blog in. The amount of blogging in the future may depend on herculean task of U of A beating UCLA in basketball tonight. The Cats are looking good, but lilliputian good compared to UCLA.

This week proved to be quite trying. I had to do the chemo with the radiation this week. The deal is that once every three weeks I have to do chemotherapy. The chemo involves one dose of Cisplatin that I get sitting down; it takes about an hour. Then, for four days straight I get 5-FU. As Dominic pointed out, any drug ending in FU is bound to knock you around harder than the late great Dale Earnhardt. I got the 5-FU off today, and got a liter of fluids and am finally feeling a lot better. Despite throwing up while getting the pump off, and throwing up heavily every day this week, I am finally starting to get more strength. Part of this is due to the fact that I started to use my PEG-tube/Gastroenterology tube. Basically, it's my feeding tube that Jenny nicknamed Peggy. I can't say I enjoy using it. It's pretty degrading, so I don't let people watch, but Peggy gets the job done. She's been the only way I have been able to keep food down. Although, by food I mean Ensure, or Ensure mixed with something like vitamin water. Once I can go 24 hours without throwing up I am going to try and eat something again.

For some reason, my throat and mouth aren't as sore as they use to be, so I think I could eat solid foods. The one problem is that my taste buds are all thrown off. I had a Sprite this morning, which I drank because the carbonation makes me feel better, but I couldn't taste any sweetness. It just tasted like carbonated water. Looking back, I have strong suspicions the Sprite was the culprit in my morning gut heaving. But, my point is that I have almost no taste, but I do have really strong cravings, which is why I got the Sprite in the first place. My mom just mentioned she almost got tuna fish, and that's all I have been able to think about. It sounds so good, but it's probably just as well I can't eat it, since it wouldn't taste like I imagine.

I am really looking forward to this all being over with, for the simple reason of being able to eat what I want, whenever I want, and to be able to enjoy it. Of course, for those who keep my nutruition in check, this does not mean McDonald's for dinner every night, but it does mean biscuits n' gravy if I feel like biscuits n' gravy.

Brian, your comment about this being the point in the race where your language and demeanor changes is quite punctilious. This week was a real struggle, but I am going to take these two days of rest and fight hard this next week. It will be nice to just have the radiation and not the chemo and radiation at the same time. This is definitely harder than I ever thought, but we don't have too much longer to go.

Thanks for all your support and comments. Each one means the world to me, and while I would have liked to have posted more frequently, I wasn't feeling well, but reading your comments really helped.

19 comments:

unclejim said...

Hmmm, I am so uterly confused. Was this the state of the economy blog we were expecting? I can certainly understand all of the throwing up comments but the name Bernake wasn't brought up, unless his first name is Peggy.

Seriously, I am glad for you that this week is over. And the race is entering its final phase. This would be the spot in the marathon where I would walk. So, anyway you get through is ok, just get through it

Rye Bread said...

I am so sorry that you can't keep much down. What a pain that must truly be. That is definetely something that we all take for granted. i love you and hope that the cats get the bruins tonight!

Adrian said...

I am glad you survived the trip to Ellensberg. I hope this is not too inappropriate for this blog but I personally found the below clip inspirational and if nothing else, the title says YES WE CAN.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHA_ZTvOgUM
YOU CAN STEVE! YES, YOU CAN! YES, YOU CAN!

Chad Vader said...

Shoot man everyone here is excited about the Zags against Santa Clara...I think you got a better game to watch! Hang tough buddy...know you'll come out of this thing ready to get back to the challenges of daily life. My folks wish you the best as well! Keep us updated when you feel you can!

annabelle said...

Hey Steven,
This is my third attempt today with no luck. I'm ready to throw this damn computer out the window. I think about you all day, everyday. Nobody really knows what you're going through but we pray it will be over soon and you'll be at Mission Beach playing over the line with the cardardies Watching Ted and Wac argue over the calls and the outs, and listening to Andrew Novak due the commentary. It will happen. Stay strong Steve. There are a lot of us pulling for you. I love you always and forever.

Joan said...

I try to write something and all I want to say is I'm sorry, I'm sorry! After talking with Jenny and hearing what a bad week you had I can't believe it when I read your blog and there is the same cheerful Steve. You are truly amazing. It makes me feel guilty when I complain about anything!

Unknown said...

Hi Baby,

I was so happy to hear that your feeling a little bit better. I was sad last night, but prayed that today would be a better day.

Mooch and I went to the movies tonight and saw the movie Juno, I am buying the soundtrack of the movie for you and Jen. I think you will love it...kind of different music, but great loving lyrics.

I'm making Dolmades tomorrow to send with you Dad. I don't think you will feel much like eating them but I'm hoping your Dad and Jen will enjoy them. I wish I could do more...

I was reading some more from my book about Mother Teresa and found a quote that explains how frustrated I am that I can't do more to make you feel better.

She says," At times, I feel rather sad, because we do so little. Most people praise us for actions, but what we do is not more than a drop of water in the ocean. It hardly affects the immensity of human suffering."

Obviously Mother Teresa's scope was the world, but to me you are the world.

Sweet dreams baby, I hope you sleep well tonight, and tomorrow brings a few smiles....

Love you forever,
Aunt Lynnie

P.S. Jenny everything I write to Steven is to you as well. I can't imagine how hard it is to see someone you love so much have such a horrible week...my love, prayers, and continous support.

annabelle said...

Jim, I just read my blog to Steven and saw I wrote due instead of do, so don't call or tell me about it, I already know (or is that no?)

Lindsay, I love reading your blogs but I don't understand much of them, they just make me giggle.

Steven, just talked to your Mom and she told me you were feeling better. I guess that's what put me in this giddy mood.

I'm sending some food down Tucson way tomorrow. Don't know if you'll be able to eat it, but Jen and your Dad might enjoy it.
Hope this week is the BEST yet.
Love u.

unclejim said...

Outside looks much the same as it did last weekend when I was down there. Cold and rainy. I think in so many locales, weather like this is gloomy. But in Arizona, it it such a rarity that I actually like it. Especially since my back wouldn't allow for a bike ride anyway. Mickey is trying to get an early enough start back up to Flagstaff to try and avoid the snow storm they are bound to get.

Sit on your back porch, buddled up and enjoy the weather. I always think of the rain washing the air clean, which is a pretty good metaphor for the treatment you are going through. I think a non-running metaphor is good every once in a while.

L'Jeane said...

Steve,

Thank you for the update.Wish I could wave a magic wand and have the next 17 treatments be a blur.
Start counting backwards, soon you will be to "one more to go"..and then DONE!!

We were at our supper club last night, at the Blooms..and your Aunt mary Ann gave us an update on your progress. We all toasted to your battle and finish line soon. Hang in there...prayers continue.

I loved it last wk, when your Aunt Lynn gave herself permission to drink to your half way mark. So..I followed her lead..(thanks, Lynn) and had a glass of wine in your honor, too!

I also was happy your mom made clear all the folks with different nicknames,as I was becoming confused,,,and was really wondering if maybe there were some illegitimate Manos in the mix :):)
(kidding)..

Keep up the good work.

It is 9:37 am..and you are loved.

L'Jeane

The Chadds said...

Steve,
You are AMAZING! We are all so happy to hear that you are feeling a little bit better. Enjoy your weekend!

DEP said...

Steven and Jen,
I ran across this quote this week that lifts my faith up and I hope it does yours. It reminds me how much Jesus is with you through these tough times...every moment of it. the quote is "If we could only understand the love that burns in the heart of Jesus for us! He has loved us so much that even if all the people, all the angels, and all the saints were to unite, with all their energies, they could not arrive at the thousandth part of the love that Jesus has for us. He loves us infinitely more than we love ourselves." May He be your ultimate "radiation", my own and all who we love. He is the Divine Physician who heals our wounds. I pray for His physical, emotional and spiritual protection and healing for you and a special "closesness" to Him through "His Presence."

Love...Aunt Elaine

lauren grant said...

hi steven!

hope you're feeling well enough to enjoy superbowl sunday. i look forward to your posts entitled: "the week from the san juan islands" or "the week from summer in seattle." then, i'll know you're doing better.

if you need further washington state not so nice places, that's ok! i suggest a post in honor of ritzville, or perhaps airway heights (one of spokane's less classy neighbors).

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

I pray that God continues to hold you in His loving arms. I also pray that HE gives you the strength, comfort, and peace in knowing HE is in control of the situation.

Unknown said...

Did you swim in the Ellensburg stream?

Mary Driscoll King said...

I know that this is not the place for negativity, but come on Steve. I thought you were a SunDevils fan through and through! While it is true that you do attend UofA, I figured that it was simply because the Economics school is more presitgious down there, not because you really wanted to be a Wildcat! What would Poppie say....

We love you regardless,

Mary

Mudge said...

I seem to remember a very frightening phone call telling us your car had broken down or ran out of gas?...outside of Ellensberg late one night on your way back from Spokane to Seattle. I can see how that would leave you with some bad memories. All in all you have survived quite a few bad memories and are still going. Like the time you and Jessie Scott took poison ivy and rubbed it all over yourselves to "prove" to Amie, Kelley & Casey you weren't allergic to it. Oops! Too bad you were. Or the time your cousin Ted convinced you "the toilet monster" was living in our toilet so you held it, crying painfully, afraid to go. Or then there was the emergency room trip (again with the Scott girls) where your zipper got stuck - when you weren't afraid to use the bathroom any longer. How bleak was it the time you got beat up on the streets of Seatle at 2AM and your friends took off and left you. You survived. The 6 hour hike up Mt. Rainier with Ted in June with snow reflecting off your unsunscreened bodies leaving you for days severely sunburned. Your body healed and it will heal again. You are resilient! By Easter you will not need a bonnet - my prediction. Love you mucho...Mudgie

Dop said...

Geez Mom, this blog is supposed to be inspirational and then you go and list out all of Steve's most stupid and embarrassing moments. Although I guess a face full of poison ivy is looking pretty good about now. The zipper incident probably still looks pretty bad.

Also, I believe the weekend he broke down in Ellensberg was also the weekend he earned the nickname "flaky face"

Unknown said...

Moke,

Thinking of you constantly.

Wes Mantooth