Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Back in the Saddle

I started radiation again yesterday, but before I talk about that I wanted to tie up a few loose ends with some previous posts.

Ted and Billy are right that Honey Bears and Berto's should be added to the Phoenix list respectively. As is my mom for suggesting El Chorro. My bad.

On the Seattle side, I had forgotten about the taco truck, because it was harder to keep track of than the dude. I thought it had gone the way of disco. But, if it still alive and well (apparently x3) then put them all on the list.

As far as San Diego goes, with me leaving off Sara's, Gabiano's, and the Bull Weevil, well, I never included San Diego in the cities, because the cities I listed were ones I hoped to visit by early summer, and the San Diego trip comes in late summer. Plus, nobody said Filipi's, which is still my favorite despite a seeming ambivalence from the rest of the family. Since this was left out, I don't feel too bad for excluding San Diego food.

I was very impressed with all the comments from the state of the economy post. Everybody really put a lot of thought into it. Even Seth's short comment was brilliant. It was interesting last night when I stumbled onto a website that had Econ t-shirts, and one shirt said, "Sure it works in practice, but does it work in THEORY." I had a pretty good chuckle, because that's the way academic economists seem to think. All the papers presented in the Econ department seminars have almost nothing to do with reality. This is a real problem for an economist when you then have to talk about real life situations. I think my own comments come from a point of view with an obvious lack of experience, and is one that relies more on theory. You can contrast that with the unbelievable insights of my uncles who showed great knowledge in how economics plays out daily in their jobs. I hate to single people out, but I was really impressed with Jim, David, Brian (not an uncle, but a former coach so close enough), and Bean's comments. I am sure we will get to talk more one on one in the future. And Bean it would be great to be discussing economics on the CT back roads again. I do feel I have some more arguments for you against the minimum wage but I will save them until then. But can't we agree that a national minimum wage of $11.15 is a little high? Like I said in the blog, I have to imagine that has an impact on poorer states like West Virginia.

My only other follow up discussion would be on OPEC. There was an interesting article in the Economist last summer I wish I could find, and will post if I do. The article was on three common economic misperceptions. Number two was that the current high oil prices are due to OPEC. While it is true that OPEC played a larger role in the oil shocks in the 70s, and was very successful controlling prices then, its influence is no longer as strong. Since 1973, OPEC has steadily lost ground in the world share of oil produced. It reached a high of 52% and now produces about 40%. This is not to say that OPEC can't alter prices, but if you look at modern day fluctuations in demand, they are a much better predictor of price changes. In other words, it is the old fashion laws of supply and demand rather than conspiratory cartel behavior that explains why oil is above $100 a barrel. The fact is that demand for oil has surged over the last few years and will continue to surge unless we are to change our behavior. These surges are what have caused the price increases. In other words, we are handcuffing our own hands and doing nothing about it. One blog reader sent me an interesting email saying sales of SUVs actually increased in 2007! With China booming and the U.S. consumer refusing to change his preferences, we can only expect the problem to get worse. And it won't be OPEC's fault; it will be our own.


Sorry, for the rambling, but I did start treatment again yesterday! To be honest I was nervous and hesitant to start again, because me lips were previously so banged up. They looked like I was repeatedly punched by someone wearing barbed wire over their boxing gloves. It was almost unbelievable to look at. But, by Monday they were much better. I was still fearful that once we started again, they would go back to looking terrible, but so far so good. I am getting to the point in my treatment where I am not quite close enough to being finished to get excited, so I am getting kind of impatient. But, once this week is done, then I have next week, and if I get through next week, I will be on the last week! So, really I am closer than I think. Overall, I am feeling better and have more energy that I did in the past. The chemo really did a number on me and I am just now starting to get over that. The week where I have chemo and radiation at the same time was definitely the worst.

I also have good news that I am doing a reverse balding. You know how most people get bald on top and then have the classic horshoe pattern of hair around the side and back of the head? Well, mine is the opposite. Just the back of my head is balding, and I think that is all that I am really going to loose. Unfortunately I am not allowed to just chop all the hair off or I would, but after this is over I probably will.

Steve

6 comments:

Greg said...

Steven -
Good to hear you've resumed radiation without any worsening of your lips.
I was so gratified to see the discussion revert back to food about which I know a great deal from a lifetime of personal experience. I know "of" economics, but it pretty much ends there. As long as food at the beach food is back up for discourse, I discovered a serious sin of omission. I think we all owe Luigi's an apology - myself included - all they ever do is deliver some of the best and most enormous pizza pies west of Little Italy.
Hope this week continues as well as it sounds from this posting that it started out for you, Moke. Love you nephew. Greg

unclejim said...

I am happy that you are back it if for no other reason than it puts you closer to the end. It would be too easy to revert to another running analogy, you know each step brings you closer to the end, so I guess I will have to come up with something different. Hmmm....what what to say. One slice closer to finishing off the pizza, one more Hail Mary closer to finishing the Rosary, one more delegate closer to wrapping up the nomination, one shot closer to unconsciousness. The good news is that it hasn't beaten your spirit yet. It might whup your body, but not your spirit. Pretty damn admirable.

Unknown said...

Hi Steve,

I walked into a senior econ course today when a student was asking the teacher, "What do economists do?" I was able to share that some write blogs (although I didn't share this one as all I need is for my students to know my music preference!!!)and then I shared Jen's version of the state of the economy. I'm glad that you found someone that witty.

Good luck; stay positive; we think about you a lot.

Paula

Unknown said...

I feel like I'm in the van on the way home from a meet. (BTW it's a short enough ride that road trip Brian hasn't shown up and I'm just my ordinary contrarian self.)

I was getting ready to post in response to your min wage comment but then my brain started to smoke!

$11.15/hr = $20k/annum after taxes.

raise wages... raise inflation and negate the benefit of a raised wage

define min weekly hours to qualify for new min wage ... Walmart scheduling wizardry

But at the end of the day the true question remains... How do we deal with poverty?

I guess I did post in response to your min wage comment.

And now back to the regularly scheduled food programming...

Seattle Restaurants:

Place Pigalle: You and Jen should go there on a date. Ask for a window when you make the reservation.

Red Mill Burgers: Puts Dick's to shame. (Dick's fries are better)

Seattle Area Craft Brewery Tour: Elysian, Hale's, Maritime, Big Time, Snoqualmie. (Mikey can drive the van)

Keep fighting, keep posting

DEP said...

Steven,
It sounds like the worse is behind you. I am so happy for that!!! I talked with your Aunt Donna today. She does not have a computer but asked me how you were doing. She wanted me to let you know she and your Uncle Mike have been praying for you everyday. She had cancer and went through chemo too, (I am not sure about radiation) similar maybe to your Aunt Mary. This blog has united so many people to pray for you...each in their own way. Your fortitude is amazing to me personally. We are affected by eachother and I sense you have left a positive mark on all of us. Your blogs are important. Keep it up when you can. We love you...Aunt Donna, Uncle Mike and Aunt Elaine.

beannotsotiny said...

$11/hr would not keep me out of a market as long as the competition paid the same. The public who pays monthly parking, attends sporting events or enjoys a night on the town will most likely complain about the increase in parking rates as a result of the increase in the hr rate. This is typical with any attempt to redistribute wealth.

I gave your father "Skeletons on the Zahara", Dean King
check and see if he still has it.

You are close. I love you!