Saturday, January 12, 2008

first week down

Well, the first week is pretty much down, because in two hours I go to the Cancer Center to have this chemo drip removed. This week I got a dose of Cisplatin on Tuesday and then since Tuesday I have had to carry around this bag of chemo (5-FU) that continuously drips into my body. I would have liked to have posted earlier, but this drip makes me feel really nauseous and tired--so I haven't felt the greatest.

I have been blown away by the amount of support for my blog though! Watch out Perez Hilton, my number of hits are getting pretty high. Seriously, I enjoy reading everyone's comments and wish I had the time and energy to tell each of you how nice they are. I think I have said this before but the silver lining in all this is knowing how many people truly care about you. I hope I can repay the favor one day.

Tuesday was one of the biggest days so far. In the morning I had the port put in. It is a pretty simple surgery, but all surgery is scary, especially when it takes place around your heart. What a port is, is basically a permanent IV except instead of going into a vein it goes directly into your heart. The 5-FU is so strong, that it could corrode or destroy a vein if injected into it. Instead, it needs to be sent right to the heart to be distributed to the body.

The surgery involves carving a little piece of of your breast where the port goes. Then, an incision is made near the very base of the neck into the major vein that goes to your heart. (I think vein and not artery-- veins take blood to the heart and arteries away?) The doctor then threads a wire down to where the vein meets the heart. Then, over the wire a catheter is placed. Lastly, the catheter is bent at the top to meet the carved out portion of the breast where the port goes.

The same doctor who did this did the PEG-tube surgery, which I will describe later because it is a little cooler. I have to say that I have never really had too much of an interest in medicine, but I have grown to appreciate it a lot more.

After the surgery I went and got radiated for the second time. I expected all the sedatives from the surgery to still be in effect while I was being radiated, but I got really claustrophobic again and had to be given a shot to be sedated. Every day since then though, I have take two valium and have been fine. I will try and post of a picture of me being pinned down to the machine by my mask so you can get an idea of how claustrophobic it would be. Also, starting on Tuesday and for every day onwards, I get a shot of a drug called Ethyiol which is designed to protect your salivary glands--without it most people lose their salivary glands.

The last part of Tuesday was the Cisplatin injection and starting the 5-FU drip as described above. The people at the Cancer Center were amazing. As far as personal treatment goes, the nurses at the Cancer Center have been as good as you can get, and that makes all the difference when going through this.

9 comments:

mary novotny said...

Dear Steven,
You are in our prayers continously as you go on this journey.
A friend once told me that "if you have your faith, your family, and your friends, you can get through anything." You are blessed with all of these,and I know they will carry you through this.
Thank you so much for sharing your journey...you are an excellant writer!
God bless you and keep you every step of the way.
Love,
Mary Novotny

Meghan Salveson said...

Steve,

Thank you for sharing your journey. I really am proud of you and your postivie attitude. Who knew what you learned in the good ol SU days could be used in such different circumstances. You are in my prayers Steve and know I'm one of your many admirors.

Peace,
Meghan Salveson

Sharon said...

Steven, just checking in to see if there were any updates. I'm still in awe of your writing and all the medical knowledge you seem to have. You may very well have a new career path to follow when this is all over! That VERY POSITIVE attitude of yours is going to carry you far!

Take care and GOD BLESS!!
Sharon Collins

Adrian said...

Hey Steve
The blog is a great idea and I hope you will keep the positive attitude. Some of your writings are trully inspirational.
I wished to visit you but I've got a flu. So, instead, I thought of typing a poem I recently went over and liked:
I unpetalled you
Juan Ramon Jimenez

I unpetalled you, like a rose,
to see your soul,
and I didn't see it.

But everything around
-horizons of lands and of seas-,
everything, out to the infinite,
was filled with a fragrance,
enormous and alive.

Adrian
PS: I hope you don't switch to medicine, it seems like you learned a lot:-)

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

Steven,
Keep up the positive attitude.
Remember you are always in God's hands... He may have a wonderful purpose for all this that only He would know. I also agree that with everything you are going through and learning... may lead you to a wonderful new career. I really admire you for going through this the way you are.... SUCH AN INSPIRATION!!!

Drew said...

Steve,

Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us. Your perspective on everything is such an inspiration. I just wanted you to know that Paul, Kim, Chris, Eric and I are always thinking of you. Keep up the resilient attitude. We love you so much!

Love,
Andrew Novak

Unknown said...

Hi Steve,
I am not sure if you remember me. It has been probably more than 20 years since I last saw you. There was a group of us that hung out together. It was the "Geares, Grants and Manos's" We did just about everything together; to include having our babies. We were a "Big Chill" kind of group. While I am sure you still see Steve, Kathe and Nathan or at least remember them, I feel compelled to write something to you even if you don't remember me. Your strength and determination are an inspiration to all. I will keep you in my thoughts and my heart -
my you find guidence in your higher power. I am sure he will bless and keep you as fight to defeat this cancer. My heart goes out to you, and your family.
Love
Gabby Parker (Geare)

Diane said...

Hi Steven,

It sure seems that all these chemo and radiation treatments are long and involved. I am praying that they may be completely effective without being unduly destructive. I am glad that the doctors and nurses are so great. They are your team players. I am comforted knowing that you have a good team. You are going to beat this. We are all pulling for you. I don't have any music to send you, but you do have my constant prayers. I love you very much. God bless you.

Aunt Diane

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!