Wednesday, January 23, 2008

10,000 meters

In track and field, the longest event run on the track is the 10,000 meters (about 6.2 miles). It's 25 laps around the track, and delivers pain to the runner in a different manner than any of the another events. The next closest event, in terms of distance but maybe not pain, is the 5,000 meters, which is 12.5 laps and requires more leg speed than the 10,000.

The extra 5,000 meters adds a significant barrier to successfully running the 10,000. The barrier is set up as this. From the start of the 10k the runners race along at a fast clip. The clip should not not be fast enough to tire out shortly into the race, but it also needs to be close enough to your fastest so that you don't wind up with too much gas left at the end of the race. So, a 10k runner wants to get into a rhythm up a very fast tempo and "zone out" until late in the race. It is important not to think about how many more laps are left, or how am I going to run another lap this fast 4 laps from now when I can barely do it now. The best strategy, in my opinion, is to treat the race like you are doing 25 quarters (1/4 miles) and each time you finish a lap just think: "I need to run this lap at __ pace." Soon enough, its the bell lap and you just need to kick home with everything you have left.

Of course, this is a very oversimplified version of an actual race. In an actual race there are obstacles: someone pushes you in the back, someone steps on you toe when the gun goes off, you can't get in a pack that is running your pace, people force you to do all the work, and etc. Or, the pack you went out with is running faster than you wanted, which tires you out too early. And probably the most common reason for a bad race is poor mental preparation. You are intimidated by the field; you are not used to running a distance that long on the track; or you mentally exhausted yourself thinking about the race all week. In running, being well prepared mentally can make the difference between first and last. For proof, see my performance at the conference indoor championships my senior year in the 5k, and my performance at the conference outdoor championships my junior year in the 5k.

What makes the 10k so difficult is that the body slowly accumulates stress, and at some point you have to make the decision to give in to all the fatigue that has set in, or go for it, hoping you have what it takes. In the 1500 meters I always felt the opposite. I loved the 1500 meters because you just went as fast as you could until the end. By the time your body was screaming to quit, you could tell it, "shut up, only 200 more meters to go." It's a lot harder to say, "shut up, only two more miles."

If you haven't noticed yet, I could have easily replaced "10k" with "cancer fighting" and the same analysis would be true. Its a long fight that involves constant energy and is constantly draining your bodies vital resources. Not only does the cancer do this, but the chemo and radiation are constantly pounding you. So, its not a fight like the 1500 where the pain sets in and you 2 days to go, it is a fight like the 10k where the pain sets in and you have 4 weeks to go. And every day you just have to tell you body-"just get through this day." Like in the 10k you can't think about "how am I going to do this in 2 weeks when I am getting my chemo again."

I am saying this, not because I am practicing what I am preaching, but I figure the more I try to preach a message, the more likely I will truly convince my mind I am right. Like Steve Prefontaine said, "Its the hardest thing is the world to truly believe in something." He's probably right. Of course, a lot of evil has been done in the world because of "true belief in a cause," but also a lot of good.

I was surprised that this week has already been so tough. I already mentioned the problems on Monday, and on Tuesday, I was told my white blood cell counts were too low. The medical oncologist said 4,000 - 10,000 is desirable and mine were 4,000. As a result, I am much more susceptible to getting sick, which means people need to be very clean while around me. We also need to be on constant watch over my temperature. Anything 101 or above is alarming, and anything over 100 for more than 30 minutes is alarming. Of course, when I was at home on Tuesday night I recorded a temperature of 101.7, and was able to eventually fight it off with Tylenol. One reason for having a high temperature is always that my body is working so hard to fight my inflamed mouth. While I was able to get my temperature down, I wasn't as successful with the food and lost a lost of the calories and food I worked so hard to get. That just makes things very frustrating. You keep thinking, "when am I going to catch a break," but now I think you should be thinking, "what can I do to be more successful." My mom always said something like, "God rewards those who work" (in an attempt to get us to clean house). But in general, its probably better to go out and make good things happen than to wait for them to come around.

So, tomorrow is a new day and I have a 1/4 mile race to run.

I originally started this post to tell what is arguably the most inspirational 10,000 meters race: the 10,000 meter finals at the 1972 Munich Olympics. The race was won by Lasse Viren, who would also win the 5,000 meters that year. However, Viren was not the favorite in the race. There were several outstanding runners, including Mohamed Gammoudi, Emil Puttemans, and the favorite, David Bedford. While most 10k championship meets start off slow, with no one wanting to do all the work of front-running, while the others save energy by drafting, this race started off at an alarming sub 61 second quarter mile by David Bedford, and the runners became very dispersed very quickly. However, a small pack remained attached to Bedford. This blistering pace continued, and about halfway into the race, tragedy struck Viren: Virens feet got tangled with Putteman's and he fell off the track. Gammoudi also fell down. What is amazing is that this would be crushing and mentally jarring to most runners. Not only did you stumble and fall, but you have to expend what seems like an insurmountable amount of energy to catch up with the lead pack that left you in the dust. But, not even for a second did Viren hesitate, he got right up and chased down the lead pack. With 10 laps to go Viren surged to take the lead from Bedford, but Viren found himself continuously challenged by other runners. Several other runners took the lead from him, trying to drop him. At the final lap, it was Puttemans and Viren, and the small Belgian runner proved no match for the tall lanky Finn. Viren crushed Puttemans in the home straight, and did so in a world record time!

You can get down and still do amazing things if you get back up.

20 comments:

The Chadds said...

Steve,
You are the strongest fighter I know. If you aren't able to "get into the zone" over the next couple of weeks, draw power and inspiration from all of the people in the stands cheering for you. While our prayers may be quiet here on earth, they are surely roaring in the heavens!

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

Steve your message is such an inspiration to all those around you. I pray that God gives you the courage and the strength to continue on with this demanding race you are running... YOU WILL OVERCOME AND WIN!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Bethany that the heavens are roaring with cheers for you through our silent prayers.

Unknown said...

Moke,

I'm glad to read your latest post -- it's inspiring. One of my favorite quotes came to mind reading yours re: Prefontaine. Mine is from another fighter from the same era: "It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself." I know you believe in yourself, and that, to me, is comforting. Steve, if there's anyone I know who can finsih the race or stave off this horrid disease, it's you. Keep your faith. Much love.

Aunt Mary said...

Sweet Steve,
Every morning at 4:30 when my alarm goes off I think of 100 excuses why I should forgo running that particular day. Before you got sick, I had many days of hitting the alarm, pulling the blankets back up to my chin and catching another hour of sleep. But being fortunate enough to witness your struggle, a struggle being waged with little complaining, I have been getting quite a bit less sleep!! That alarm goes off and I picture you sitting in that window seat, with the mountains behind you, trying deperately to do all that you have been medically instructed to do inspite of how painful it is, and it is amazing how quickly I fly out of bed and hit the ground running. I am equally amazed at how much more intense my runs have become. And then I realize my motivation is based on that vision of you at the window seat. You are my inspitational, my angel. You always have been. But please know that as you continue to fight this battle that is all to familiar, you have this runner who
is incredibly thankful for providing me with the inspiration to run with dedication inspired by a very brave nephew......I love you beyond words.

Mudge said...

Steven, I have always been proud of you for your goal setting (hard to achieve goals)and then actually sticking to them. You are so like your dad and grandpa when it comes to pushing yourself. You continue to amaze and inspire me. You may have been referring to a saying I quoted from one of my favorite teachers at Cor Jesu, Sr. Caritas: "Always do your best, and God will do the rest,but don't put God to the test, because he knows when your best is best." You are blessed to have such strength both physically and mentally. You are doing everything your very best! You always have. This is another race you will win as painful as victory is. Love you and see you soon. Mom

Joan said...

Dear Steve,

If I were there with you, I wouldn't be able to speak. As I sit here, quietly crying, I wish I could share with you all the feelings in my heart. Everyone who has written previous to mine have said it all. You are truly an inspiration. I know that Heavenly Father loves you, and your faith, combined with the faith and prayers of all those who love you, will give you the strength to continue your fight.

God bless you and your family and Jenny.

L'Jeane said...

Steve,
As you complete your third wk of treatment,please know we all continue to pray for your strength and desire to overcome all obstacles.

I saw a quote, this wk, I'd like to share with you, because it made me think of you.

"Courage doesn't always roar..sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,..I will try again tomorrow"...and that is exactly what you do..you get up , and you DO "tomorrow"..keep it up...you are 1/2 way there.

I am sorry your new nurse was less than what you truly deserve.Like any profession, there are the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Every day when I pray for you, I pray for your nurses and doctors who care for you. Guess I'd better step up the prayers for the nursing part:):)

Hang in there.

Hugs,
L'Jeane

annabelle said...

this is a test

annabelle said...

Hey Steven, I came over to Maw-Maws because she couldn't get on your blog to post comments....not that I have been able to yet....but anyway, it worked! I'm sure you will be receiving many comments from Moochie.....love and I will write when I get home....
Like you for always, love you forever....Aunt Lynnie

Rye Bread said...

Hearing you talk about running reminded me of how passionate you are for it and how truly knowledgable you truly are on the subject. I wanted to tell you that you have always been one of my biggest role models, if not the biggest. Everyday when I was little I would try and think of ways to be like you because you have accomplished so many things with your courage and power that has taken you so many places like graduate school and being an excelling stuent athlete in college. One day I hope to be the same student athlete that you were. I guess I should go and hit the books and the weight room if I am going to accomplish that. I love you and will hopefully see you this weekend.

Unknown said...

Hi Baby,
Now that I am home, and finally set myself up to post messages, I thought I would fix a cup of "java" and write to you. Actually this is probably the third time I've written to you, but I am not "trainable" when it comes to a few things....like signing on "blog" pages.

First of all give Jen a big hug and kiss for me. Tell her that I admire her strength and devotion. She is a remarkable person that loves you dearly.

I enjoyed your analogy today, even though running in a race is something very foreign to the King family. I'm sure the King boys could all substitute something they've done in place of your running...gosh, that is a scarey thought!

As far as songs go the only song that I could come up with is "You Are My Sunshine", which Jim suggested, probably in jest, the other song, which I think Mary Beth already suggested is "My Humps" only because it's my favorite song.

I liked the saying that your Mom wrote, and one of my favorites
is a quote from Mother Teresa, she said, "God won't give you more than you can handle"....I remember when I was first divorced, raising the boys, I must of repeated that phrase to myself about 100 times a day. When our water was turned off, or the electricity, or most importantly our cable, and Billy was about 7, he would look up at me and would say "mommy didn't you have time to pay the bill". Or the time Danny called me from SLU and said that all of his courses were dropped and he had to move out of the dorm, and again, in a grown up young man's voice, I got the same question. I was sure that Mother Teresa had it wrong...or perhaps God saw strength in me that I didn't have. But now I look at the boys and I realized God saw in me a strength I didn't know that I had. Mother Teresa was right after all. I know that we can all bore you with personal stories of how low our lives are or were. But I guess it all gets back to our own analogies.

One thing that I do know right now is that God sees enormous strength in you, strength that maybe your hoping you have, or in my case the strength I didn't know that I had. He knows that you can survive this painful, unexplainable period of your life.

I want you to know that I am back to repeating Mother Teresa's words about 100 times a day.....but now with confirmation that God understands your strength, so don't ever doubt it...you will be surprised how strong you can be....enough for tonight. I wish I could be there with you, but I will see you next week....Love you forever.....

Unknown said...

Steve,

I remember a few things from your first visit to campus: your mom crying when you went up to Carlos's and Kevin's room, the fact that you wanted to major in creative writing, and this tremendous look of determination on your face as we talked about your running and the next four years.

I called Brian right after you and your mom left and said, "this guy is going to be great, but he's thinks he's majoring in creative writing, I don't see that happening."

I think that determination never leaves; it is just more difficult to notice some days. And, you have obviously always been a writer. The tenacity for running the 10k is connected to the tenacity of a writer. Keep writing.

We think about you often and know that you will pull this off. I'm glad that you are near your parents. You always ran well when they came!

Paula

Chad Vader said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chad Vader said...

"blink and you miss a sprint, The 10,000 meters is lap after lap of waiting. Theatrically, the mile is just the right length--begining, middle, end, a story unfolding."
-Seb Coe

This one is one of my favorites. It signifies a need to not give up even after many failures:

"it's been upsetting that people have seen my attitude ("front running") not as reckless but weakness. The australian behavior toward losers is far from healthy. If younsters are taught that losing is a disgrace, and if they're not sure they can win, they will be reluctant to even try. And not trying is the real disgrace." -Ron Clarke

Never fear losing only be afriad of never trying.

This last one is more a 10,000m qoute:

"I haven't seen too many American distance men on the international scene willing to take risks. I saw some U.S. women in Barcelona willing to risk, more than men. The Kenyans risk. Steve Prefontaine risked. I risked -- I went through the first half of the Tokyo race just a second off my best 5000 time." - Billy Mills

I hope these inspire you in your times of fears and hardships.

Senor Groseta said...

Steve, You have been and continue to be such an inspiration. I love the 10K blog- just awesome. I saw this video of Billy Mills's 10K in the 64 Olympics from the Sports Guys link the other day and thought of you. Running Brave had a helluva kick and I know you'll be dominating at the end of this race.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-nEHaCtqfeM

Adrian said...

I don't know if I am the only one here who is not just inspired but who also learns a lot like songs, medical stuff and now sporting events. I checked Youtube and the videoclip of the race is up there. Amazing indeed.
I probably know you for less time than the majority of others but from what I came to learn about you I have no doubt you will make it through. I think in terms of setting up expectations it would be more realistic to think that things will not get easier. But things were not easier in the Spring semester of the first year of the PhD program and you did great. And than the comp came and you passed both exams first time (for those who read and don't know what I am talking about, those are 2 exams each being held for 8 hours or more without break and your brain is absolutely completely drained after them besides the fact that they are hard to solve). And second year was not easier at all and still you did great again. If you've found the energy and determination to go through all these I am sure you'll be able to use that inner strength again to fight the cancer, the pain you're going through and the thoughts that inevitably come and tempt you to give up or to take breaks. Maybe it helps thinking more how this 10k race you're running now would have been without the amazing coach you have (Jen), without the club support(your family) and without energy drink (the prayers and thoughts and good wishes of people who both love you and are inspired by you).
Go Steve!
PS: I tried to bet on you winning this race but since the market is pricing the probability of you making it at 100% I can't make any money....

Chad Vader said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vlF4OdDZnLE&feature=related

I actually like this interview with Billy mills where he talks about how the race unfolded and mentally prepared to run the tokyo10,000.

annabelle said...

Dear Scoob,

I have written at least 15 or 20 comments with no luck of your seeing them....floating somewhere in cyberspace. If this doesn't work, I give up. I am not surprised at how you inspire others..that's just your way. Talking to the other cardardes, I learned they have always thought you were special.You have a gift I wish I had (determination, perserverence and dedication). I like to think you got this from Poppie. But wherever it came from, it has made you unique. I love you with all of my heart. And for all who don't know, Steven Manos was "THE ATHLETE OF THE YEAR" at Seattle Univ.. Not too many young men or women can say that. Am I proud...your right and for so many other reasons.Fight on, Scoobie. I'm praying for you.

Unknown said...

Hey Steven,
I know you are probably not feeling well (that's a real understatement, I am sure). But I just wanted to let you know that we are all thinking about you, (another understatement). Danny, Moochie and I were going to come see you on Tuesday, with "What about Bob", but we will wait and see how you are feeling. .


Give a hug to Jenn....

love,
aunt lynnie

lydialauer said...

hi Steve,
I believe in the practice what you preach approach, Plus the running analogies are always fun, right? I have definitely been thinking of you and think we all have Robo to thank for the blog idea. You are brave and you are strong and most of all you are positive- which I am in love with! keep it up
lydia